RE: Should role="contentinfo" be added on a footer or a p element?

>> On ARIA demonstration websites, role="contentinfo" is usually added

>> on a footer element.

>> However, footers in modern web

>> design<http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/04/08/footers-in-modern-w

>> eb-design-creative-examples-and-ideas/>can

>> be creative so that they can also contain things like supplementary

>> navigation links, social website links, or even a newsletter form.

If you apply the role of contentinfo to the footer element, screen readers that support both HTML5 and ARIA will report the landmark only once. If you apply the role to another element and also have a footer element, the landmark will be reported twice.

Generally speaking this isn't too much of a problem. If the contentinfo role is applied to an element that's a child of the footer, it can cause unnescessary duplication though. Effectively the landmark is reported twice in quick succession.

In case it's helpful, I wrote about this (in a slightly different context):

Léonie.

--

Nomensa - humanising technology

Léonie Watson, Director of Accessibility

tel: +44 (0)117 929 7333

mob: +44 (0)792 116 8551

twitter: @we_are_Nomensa @LeonieWatson

Nomensa Email Disclaimer: http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer