Re: Should role=“contentinfo” be added on a footer or a p element?

Hi Yang,

I would also take into account how browsers map the footer element to
accessibility APIs.
In Firefox the footer is mapped to ARIA role=contentinfo
In Webkit/safari/chrome the footer is mapped to ARIA role=group if it is
contained within a section or article element otherwise it is mapped to
role=contentinfo
In IE it is not mapped

So doing this:
some content
<footer> some content</footer>

will lead to nested contentinfo landmarks being announced in browsers that
already map footer to contentinfo.

I would suggest therefore that adding role=contentinfo to the main footer,
not worrying too much about content that you think may not be appropriate
being in the footer.

I would further suggest that use of role=group on footer elements contained
in section or article elements would be the way to go as it aligns the
semantics across browsers.

regards
stevef

--