Re: Microsoft PowerPoint accessibility

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Bart Simons wrote:
> In my oppinion techniques that are not accessibility supported
> should not
> exist.
> Let us take again H33: Supplementing link text with the title
> attribute
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/H33
> Under the "User Agent and Assistive Technology Support Notes"
> heading follow
> so many arguments claiming the technique is not accessibility
> supported that I
> think the technique should be (temporarily) deleted.

Exactly. Developers persist in using the title attribute because
they want hover text and the existing accessibility standards
tell them they can use the title attribute to provide accessible
information. However, since practically user agent/adaptive
technology combinations don't give access to the attribute, we
shouldn't be telling developers to use it:
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG20/quickref/20081211/#navigation-mechanisms-refs>

If the title attribute vanished altogether I would be a much
happier camper.

-Deborah
--
Deborah Kaplan