Re: Languages in Impress / ODF

Hi Bart,

Thanks for the info. (Maybe we should discuss this on another list.)
With regard to default/document language when exporting ODT from
Writer to PDF: in my experience, the results have been somewhat
inconsistent when you check the document properties in Adobe Acrobat Pro.
When you export an English document to PDF, the language in the
document properties will be "English US" or "English UK", i.e. one of
the values you can find in the drop-down list for the Language property.
However, when I export a Dutch or a French document to PDF, I get a
language tag, such as nl-be, instead of just "Dutch" ("Dutch" is a
value in the drop-down list, which contains no language tags).

It gets weirder when you use a language that is not in
OpenOffice.org's list of "Western" languages (a list that funnily
includes Mongolian, Swahili, Vietnamese and Georgian!): when you
enable "Asian" language, set "Chinese (simplified" as default Asian
language, set default Western language to "None", and create some
text in Chinese, you can observe the following: as long as you enter
Chinese characters, the language in the status bar says "Chinese
(simplified)", but when you enter a numeral (not the Chinese
characters for numerals but "Arabic" numerals), the text language for
that numeral changes to whatever the default Western language is (in
this case "None"); the same happens when you enter a Latin full stop
(instead of a Chinese full stop). When I exported this document to
PDF (after removing anything that was not purely Chinese), the
language in the PDF document properties said "English US"! It's
almost as if a non-Western language (in the OpenOffice.org sense, not
in a linguistic sense) can never be the default language of a Writer document.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe