Re: How competent must people be to use the Web?

Michael S Elledge wrote:

> representative set of skill levels. In most cases that will include
> novices as well as more expert users of adaptive technology. We collect

I don't think he was particularly talking about adaptive technology
users.  I think he was talking about people who don't belong to the
computer using generation, and maybe also young people with cognitive
disabilities.

As well as physical disabilities age, in particular, brings a difficulty
in learning new technology, a fear of breaking things, and a lack of
prior experience of that technology.

> Perhaps I've missed your point, but I think the key is not to determine
> which level of competence is necessary for people to use websites built
> to WCAG 2.0 guidelines, but to identify which implementations of those
> guidelines work best for persons with disabilities.

I'd agree that, for web sites designed for accessibility, the need for
education is a negative quality indicator.

--
David Woolley