Re: Succession Criteria 2.3.1

On 28 Oct 2009, at 14:27, Chris Reeve wrote:

I think you mean "Success Criteria". "Succession" means something
completely different.

> Please strike G15 to allow "Ensuring that content does not violate
> the general flash threshold or red threshold". Please modify this so
> criteria G15 requires "Ensuring that content does not violate the
> general flash and red flash threshold".

The existing language is correct. To express it in programatic terms:

if ( violates_flash() || violates_red() ) { fail() }

You propose:

if ( violates_flash() && violates_red() ) { fail() }

which would only fail if both the General Flash threshold and the Red
Flash were exceeded.

If the title of the guideline is unclear, then the full text of it
certainly is not:

			use a tool that to determine that neither the General Flash nor Red
Flash
			threshold were exceeded

> Under G15, Someone could fail one technique, but pass another
> technique, and it their site would still pass.

Of course.

			The "sufficient techniques" are considered sufficient by the WCAG
Working
			Group to meet the success criteria. However, it is not necessary to
use these
			particular techniques.
				— http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/intro.html

> Also, please revise the 3-50 Hz so it is not resticted to 25% of a
> 1025x768 monitor. Please set the web based requirement at the full
> site.

Why?

>  Also please "consider" that it 2.3.1 must be used in conjuction
> with Pause Stop Hide, Technique 2.2.2.

So if looking at a page triggers a seizure, then the user can turn off
the flashing? I think it would be a *little* bit late by then.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk