RE: Question about Headings (Succesion Criteria 1.3.1, 2.4.1, 2.4.6, and 2.4.10)

Phil and John, as it stands my structure is very similar to the way that that John has suggested. The only difference in John's e-mail template and my structure is that I do not have any sub-heading in my lists.

--- On Tue, 8/11/09, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:

From: John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Subject: RE: Question about Headings (Succesion Criteria 1.3.1, 2.4.1, 2.4.6, and 2.4.10)
To: "'W Reagan'" <wreagan1@yahoo.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, "'Christophe Strobbe'" <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Tuesday, August 11, 2009, 10:02 PM

Aha…

There is a confusion here.  All of the ‘Volumes’ listed below would be (should be) at the same level of heading. The use of “which” heading is open to discussion, but what you *should* have is something more like this:

(<h 1>the Entire Collection “Name” [sic]</h1>)

<h 2>Volume 1</h2>
<h 2>Volume 2</h2>
<h 2>Volume 3</h2>
<h 2>Volume 4</h2>
<h 2>Volume 5</h2>
<h 2>Volume 6</h2>
<h 2>Volume 7</h2>
<h 2>Volume 8</h2>

…and further, if required:

<h 2>Volume 1</h2>
    <h 3>Topic 1 of Volume 1</h3>
    <h 3>Topic 2 of Volume 1</h3>
    <h 3>Topic 3 of Volume 1</h3>

<h 2>Volume 2</h2>
    <h 3>Topic 1 of Volume 2</h3>
    <h 3>Topic 2 of Volume 2</h3>
    <h 3>Topic 3 of Volume 2</h3>

…etc.

This hierarchal structure is extremely important for overall document comprehension and is also used (aggressively) by screen reading technology to facilitate inter-page navigation.

HTH

JF
John  Foliot
Program Manager