Re: Text links 2.4.4 with PDF's

Hi Richard,

It is indeed very helpful to know which technologies are used or that
would need for a particular document before you go there.
It would also be nice to know before you click on a link whether you
have the technologies in your browser to handle the HTML page and
other technologies on it  -- or whether it will even work with your
browser  -- before you click the link.

Authors could decide to include either type of information in a
link.   And in some cases that might be best practice.

However neither is required by WCAG.

Please note that there are many things that are useful to people with
disabilities that are not required by WCAG for various reasons.    So
the fact that something would be useful to some or all people with
disabilities does not make it required by WCAG.   Only those things
specifically required by one of the success criteria (or the
conformance requirements) are required by WCAG.

We DO have advisory techniques that document things that would be
useful and that go beyond the requirements of WCAG.  If you have a
suggestion for a new technique we have a form that people can use to
send it in.  The form is at

PS   With regard to 3.2.5: going to a new page is always a change of
context - even if the new page is HTML.   Clicking on a link however
is 'initiated by a user' so 3.2.5 does not apply to anything that
happens after the person 'clicks' on a link .

Gregg