RE: Resize Text (1.4.4)

Hi all,

IMO, I think that If you relief in a browser with zoom you can’t test this
adequately.

[cite:
http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/visual-audio-contrast-scale.html]

The author cannot rely on the user agent to satisfy this Success Criterion
for HTML content if users do not have access to a user agent with zoom
support. For example, if they work in a environment that requires them to
use IE 6 or Firefox.

… If the user agent doesn't provide zoom functionality but does let the user
change the text size, the author is responsible for ensuring that the
content remains usable when the text is resized.

… Content satisfies the Success Criterion if it can be scaled up to 200%,
that is, up to twice the width and height.

[end cite]

Perhaps the confusion about the test is because the 2# speaks of "zoom" when
it should speak about "resize".

[cite: ]

Procedure

1.	Display content in a user agent
2.	Zoom content to 200%
3.	Check whether all content and functionality is available

[end cite]

So to check this point, I think it is worth to use the settings of browsers
that provide the effect of zoom. What you should do is use the scaling of
the text (And check that there are no such elements as defined in fixed
units of measurement.)

The reason is that the zoom effect can be generated on containers and text
that are defined in fixed units of measurement. In contrast scaling only
works on elements that are defined in relative units of measurement.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think the point is mainly to review the authors have
defined the correct text and container sizes of text, just so they can be
well resized.

Regards,

Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo