Re: SPAM(6.0) Re: Layout Tables vs. Style Sheets

WCAG 1.0 became a public recommendation in may, 1999. It clearly states that
tables are not to be used for layout.

What happens then, when tables are used for layout? Well, that is a
different question for different users. Visually impaired users who use
screen readers, such as Jaws for Windows, may find that tables containing
text that breaks into two or more rows in a single cell are read linearized,
witch means that the first row of cell one is followed by the first row in
cell two (same row) and so on. This might cause confusion, as the text was
intended to be read one cell at a time.

Today it seems this problem is not as big as it used to be. Jaws for Windows
has become better at these things, since this has been one of the biggest
accessibility problems on the web for many years now. But we should all know
that Jaws is not rendering content correctly when fixing this little
problem. It's just a workaround to fix something that we web developers
should have fixed ten years ago.

In general tables are not meant to be nested. I've never even come across a
complex data table with the need for nesting. The simple answer to questions
concerning nested tables is that they should not be used at all. The more
complex answer might be that user agents rendering information based on the
code behind the visual page (such as screen readers, web browsers an such)
will do this wrong sooner or later if we use elements in ways they're not
meant to be used.

It is quite simple. The W3C states that HTML/XHTML should be used to convey
structure of a document, while CSS should be used to determine layout and
visual effects.

My best tip is to use XHTML 1.1, which is the latest and most strict version
of HTML. Read WCAG 1.0 (all levels) to get a feel for what is ok and not.

Best regards,

Joachim Andersson