From: james.homme@highmark.com
To: "Harry Loots" <harry.loots@ieee.org>
Sent: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 10:07:01 -0400
Subject: Re: Layout Tables vs. Style Sheets

> Hi,
> According to my memory, it was Internet Explorer 6 that made it
> practical
 for developers to use style sheets instead of table
> layout, but the
 standard for doing so in Cascading Style Sheets had
> been available in 1999.
 I am trying to find material that verifies
> my memory though, so don't put
 me on the board.

> Thanks.
>
> Jim
>
> James D Homme, Usability Engineering, Highmark Inc.,
> james.homme@highmark.com, 412-544-1810
>
> "The difference between those who get what they wish for and those
> who
 don't is action. Therefore, every action you take is a complete
>  success,regardless of the results." -- Jerrold Mundis
 Highmark
> internal only: For usability and accessibility:

> http://highwire.highmark.com/sites/iwov/hwt093/
>

>              "Harry Loots"

             <harry.loots@ieee

             .org>
             Sent by:                  "w3c-wai-
> ig@w3.org"
             w3c-wai-ig-reques
             t@w3.org
>                                         cc
>

> Subject
             10/07/2008 09:50          Re: Layout Tables
> vs. Style Sheets
             AM

> WCAG 1.0 became an official recommendation in May 1999, containing
> the
 following guideline:

> Guideline 5.  Create tables that transform gracefully.
> Next guideline: 6 Previous guideline: 4 Go to contents
> Ensure that tables have necessary markup to be transformed by
> accessible
 browsers and other user agents.

> Tables should be used to mark up truly tabular information ("data
> tables").
 Content developers should avoid using them to lay out
> pages ("layout
 tables").
 Tables for any use also present special

------- End of Original Message -------