Re: Layout Tables vs. Style Sheets

Patti Burke-Lund wrote:
>  I had a question come in from
> a student who took a course in Dreamweaver last semester where they were
> given an Adobe Developer Connection tutorial
> (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt2_04.html)
> in creating a page layout with tables for text, graphics, and Flash
> assets.

Adobe Developer Center isn't a remotely good tracker of current
practice, but for an alternative view from the Center, see:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/why_css.html (from 2004)

> I was wondering if anyone could share their insight with regard to
> layout tables and accessibility, as well as when the switch occurred
> from layout tables to CSS (i.e., how many years this has been a
> recommended practice).

As long ago as 1997, the HTML 3.2 standard warned that using table
markup "for layout purposes … typically causes problems when rending to
speech or to text only user agents":

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#table

There's an interesting chronology of the subject at:

http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/layout_tables/history.htm

Note that the author is a defender of the use of tables for layout.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis