Re: Acessibility of <audio> and <video>

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 22:46:48 +0100
To: 'wai-ig list' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> I've not seen many programmes use sign language.  The one show that I
> know of that did some of the time was a childrens early morning cartoon

Those UK broadcasters with public service mandates (BBC and ITV) reserve
some slots for repeats of mainstream programmes with a signer in the
corner.  This includes some imported drama.

> show in Australia called Cheez TV, which sometimes had a sign language
> interpreter in the bottom right of the screen interpreting what the
> presenters were saying in the breaks between the cartoons.  Although, I
> believe they must have used closed captions other times because they
> didn't always have the interpreter.
> We also need to consider whether or not sign language would be used for
> video on the web, and whether or not it's worth finding a solution to

My understanding is that sign languages are languages in their own right
and have different syntaxes from the spoken and written language in the
same country.  I also believe that American and British sign language
are very different.

David Woolley