Re: JavaScript and Screen Readers

On 18 Aug 2008, at 16:45, Justin Ryan wrote:
>> Not since about 2000, it isn't compatible with a proper separation of
>> program logic from content.

> oh, that's silly, you just don't know how to use it along with proper
> separation, ya frakkin' naysayer! ;)
>
> It's nothing to hit a url with an XMLHttpRequest which return an
> html snippet.
>
> That said, document.write() is also odd because it appends, yah?

If XMLHttpRequest is being used, then probably 'neh'.

The document will be finished, so the call to document.write will wipe
the existing content.

> So.. it would be wierd for people who *can* see.

Weird. Illogical. Unusable.

> Far more sensible and common for me to do is to getElementById and
> replace or append to the contents.

Standard DOM - yes. I don't limit myself to those three methods though.

> Also, "program logic from content" is very old school.  Howabout
> Model-View-Controller with Controller in JS?  In this way, many
> snippets or "view components" may make up an entire ui whereby only
> one bit may change.

MVC program design isn't incompatible with separating logic from
content. If anything, it encourages it.

> This would be a challenge for a screen reader,
> I'd think, because you'd have to restart reading of the screen if text
> that's already been read changes.

Work is being done on that front. http://juicystudio.com/article/making-ajax-work-with-screen-readers.php
  is helpful.

--