Re: No ALT place to go from CSS background images. The frustrating Australian situation

Tim wrote:

> For example, all the header graphics in all my pages are animated
> background gif files from CSS stylesheets, seven different ones. Have a

Background images shouldn't be used for real content.  If you are going
to use CSS to do image replacement, you should use the content
attribute, although this may mean many browsers display the plain text.

(I've actually seen cases where background images were used for controls
and using a non-IE browser resulted in misalignment and an unusable site.)

There is another controversy as to whether even background imagery
should be described for accessibility, which I'm not addressing here,
although my feeling is that that is not necessary.

There are, of course, no alt tags in HTML, only alt attributes.

Incidentally, the colours are a problem.  They are over saturated, and
the purple, in particular, is subject to chromatic aberration, because
the eye's focus for red is not exactly that for, say, green.  I think
the black background exacerbates this, as it causes the eye's pupil to
dilate and the depth of focus to reduce.

--
David Woolley