RE: No ALT place to go from CSS background images. The frustrating Australian situation

Tim wrote:
> The Target ruling on ALT tags seems be a little judicially expedient
> and not the full picture on alt tags or accessibility.

Tim,

Please be very clear, there is yet a "ruling" in the Target case, outside of
the fact that the suit has now been elevated to a class-action suit, which
*does* up the ante somewhat.  However, one of the key considerations in the
case is the fact that many of the images on the Target site lack suitable or
"accessible" alternative text.

I made my comments mostly in light of the fact that currently the HTML5
Working Group are suggesting that in the next generation language images
could be considered "conformant" even without alt text "...under certain
circumstances". [http://blog.whatwg.org/omit-alt]  I have been arguing that
even suggesting that this is a consideration opens the door for misuse and
abuse, as it becomes a subjective consideration by the developer, and while
the HTML5 WG are trying very hard to explain their reasoning, it ultimately
replaces one bad situation with an even worse situation (IMHO).

If the Target.com case finds for the plaintiffs, then the message being sent
out is that within the discussion of legal requirements, images will require
alt text, irregardless of a specification that suggests otherwise.  Thus,
while there might be a technical ability to do so, legal mandates will
insist that authors not take advantage of the technical ability, thus making
that aspect of the specification moot.

I'm not 100% sure what the rest of your posting was trying to convey,
although we all know that you remain angry with "the system" in Australia.

JF