Re: support for sub and sup in screen readers and talking browsers

Using window eyes 5.5 with IE7

the results are similar to jaws and voiceover:
"it just reads the
superscripts and subscripts as seperated blocks with no particular
disctinction or announcement of how they differ."

I had a look at the various settings in JAWS/Window Eyes to see if I could
get them to announce the sub/superscript differently, to no avail.

On 13/09/2007, Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I recently read in a report on accessibility of mathematics and
> science that screen readers can't tell the difference between sub and
> same on a Braille display, namely as "an".
>
> I would like to collect some more data on the support of sub and sup
> by screen readers and talking browsers and I have put together a
> small test page for this purpose: <http://tinyurl.com/2qll7h>. The
> page contains five examples of superscript and subscript and a few
> combinations of these.
>
> With Fire Vox, the code samples given above are read as an emphatic
> "an". The output for the other expressions is also misleading. I
> would appreciate it if users of screen readers and talking browsers
> could tell me what their systems output for each of the five
> examples. I will then add the test results to the test page.
>
> Best regards,
> Christophe
>

> --
> Christophe Strobbe
> K.U.Leuven - Dept. of Electrical Engineering - SCD
> Research Group on Document Architectures
> Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
> B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee
> BELGIUM
> tel: +32 16 32 85 51