Re: webcast accessibility - help me :-)

Hi

Checkpoint 1.3 requires that you add audio descriptions of the important
visual content to your video. These are additional descriptions and can
be added using a tool like MAGpie
(http://ncam.wgbh.org/webaccess/magpie/). There are some good
instructions available, see:
http://www.skillsforaccess.org.uk/howto.php?id=135

Checkpoint 1.4 requires that you add captions of all the spoken and
other audio content to your video. These can also be added using MAGpie.
  An example of captioned video can be found at:
http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=372&languageId=1&contentId=-1
(choose the download option). Some good instructions are provided by
WebAIM: http://www.webaim.org/techniques/captions/

In addition to this you also need to provide a text equivalent according
to Checkpoint 1.1. This text equivalent must include *all* important
visual and audio content.

If complying with Checkpoint 1.3 and 1.4 is too onerous, you could
consider using the clause provided by Checkpoint 11.4: "If, after best
efforts, you cannot create an accessible page, provide a link to an
alternative page that uses W3C technologies, is accessible, has
equivalent information (or functionality), and is updated as often as
the inaccessible (original) page." Essentially this means if you provide
a transcript (as per Checkpoint 1.1) and it provides the equivalent
information (ie describing important audio and visual information) then
that will be sufficient for your site to pass Level A of the W3C Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines.

If you are aiming for Level AA then you will need to comply with
Checkpoint 1.3 and 1.4.

Cheers,
Gian