Re: JAWS assistance

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 00:14:11 +0200, Virginia Shedden
<vshedden@2degreesresearch.com> wrote:

> Hi All

> We identified the following issues with the site when using JAWS:

> 1. The significant use of links throughout the website was tedious;

Yep. This is why skipping somehow is encouraged.

> 2. The skip to content link not was not functioning;

Did you hide it using CSS or something? That hides it from screen readers
in general too.

> 3. The lists encountered (e.g. the bulleted points) were not identified
> by JAWS;

Are they marked up using proper HTML lists?

> 4.  Participants had a tendency to overlook the Left Navigation headings
> (which were important to the overall navigation of the site)
> because they habitually avoided links and skipped to the main content
> areas.

This is general to users, not software, because they have dealt with too
many sites that are painful to use. If they are really interested in the
site they will go back to the info...

cheers

chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com