RE: Find as you type for navigation

Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> The above is probably ok if we want to find something in a link. But
> that is not what we want when we navigate a website using this "Find"
> substitute for short cut keys.
>
> We want to go to a link we have already spotted, or we want to go to
> a link and have already guessed what the name is like "home", "next",
> "search", "contact".

My understanding is that the newly proposed @role will aid in this greatly,
especially if these types of concepts become part of the common collection
of roles.  Then next-gen user-agents will allow user-defined mappings to
these links (with the added benefit of being language neutral - assuming
that X/HTML will always be English based): <a href=""
role="home">Accueil</a>, or factor in some other nifty way of quickly
accessing the link, such as a modified "Find as you type" functionality.

> In order to use "Find as you type" for link navigation, in a simple
> way that will work for most people, it should only consider the first
> letter of the link text.

Nope:

Ain't that simple - sorry Jesper.  "H" brings up 3 options, "Ho" brings up 2
options, "Hom" brings up 1 - the "correct one" - you might "see" the various
options on screen simultaneously, but not all users will.

JF