Re: Google Accessible Search

There have been people trying to build such services based on "metadata"
(or more generally, other data about the information), even before google
became the number 1 search system. One of the problems they typically had
was that search engine vendors refused to allow them to manipulate the
results.

Since the vendors have invested a lot of money to get the results, they do
have a legal and moral right to them and how they are used. But it has
been a shame that they have not, until now, been much help in the
accessibility world. I am glad the Google has now released some kind of
search. I am waiting to be impressed by the actual results though. I guess
their testing will get better. Until there is some kind of trust
framework, I don't suppose that they are likely to generally believe a lot
of metadata (historically their approach has been not to trust individual
metadata, and it has worked as an anti-spam technique to a certain extent).

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:46:27 +0200, Lisa Yayla <lisa.yayla@statped.no>
wrote:

> Hi,
> This might be of interest. It is a project from  Carnegie Mellon
> University to in add description to images on the internet.
> The idea it is a community based description "sevice" using a game,
> Phetch, as it's vechicle.

The same process can be used to crack "CAPTCHA" images - typically by
recycling them onto porn sites where people will describe them. Just
another thing wrong with CAPTCHA, really.

> b.kelly@ukoln.ac.uk skrev 26. juli 2006 kl. 08:49 +0000:
>> This thread reminds me that back in 1998 I gave a brief presentation at
>> a WAI meeting held in Toronto on "Accessibility, Automation and
>> Metadata"

Ah yes. I think that was when I was really seeing the light on the value
of metadata and what is now called the semantic web for accessibility. I
remember the talk :)

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com