Re: User friendly 404s reconsidered

Watching this thread, something comes to mind which may have been
considered.  How about a list of closest matches?

On Jul 25, 2006, at 9:31 AM, Patrick Lauke wrote:

> Orion Adrian

> I agree with reducing noise. I don't consider search on a 404 page
> noise. I don't consider placing the most common links on a 404 page
> noise. These are all decent uses of screen real estate.

And, lest we don't lose track of the issues here, they can also help
users actually find what they were looking for, which I'd say is an
essential part of a usable website. Otherwise we may as well just
serve the default 404 and be done with it.

Patrick H. Lauke
Web Editor / University of Salford
http://www.salford.ac.uk
http://webstandards.org/