Re: Where's Bobby? Are we left with Cynthia?

I am new to this list so ,hello all!!
I just wish to add a note to this discussion.

IMO - It could be argued that many of these symbols displayed on a
site after an automated check,whether they are Bobby,
or even WAI/W3C etc are actually redundant. They are all highly subjective
evaluations (usually based on the level of expertise of the auditor). At best
they show the owners are aware of accessibility and have made an effort to
produce a well structured site,and are conscious of the diverse requirements of disabled
users etc. The level of accessibility a site chooses to boast about may in no way reflect
how usable or accessible it is.

Automated checkers are fine for certain things but useless when it comes to
the need for intelligent "human"  evaluation. The correct application of meaningful
alt text being a perfect example.  An automated tool like bobby etc will see that
you have alt text, but will not be able to evaluate its worth, but as long as its there
it will say yes, you pass this requirement, But it could be rubbish alt text.
So be aware that though auto checkers are fine for some tasks, (usually checking
code validity, looking for DTDs etc) they are not to be used for evaluating
all the accessibility requirements of your site,under any circumstance.

BTW I found A-Prompt to be OK when I first got into accessibility
(it came bundled with Joe Clark's Building Accessible Websites, nice one Joe:)
but again  from what I remember, it would give a thumbs up for any old alt text
(but how could it properly evaluate it anyway, its only a piece of software?)
But that was a few years ago, they may have improved it if it is still in use.

Bryce Fields wrote:
> In truth, accessibility is a continuum.

Thats exactly the way I feel about it too!! All sites/ICT's are somewhere on this line and
ultimately can always be improved.

HTH

Josh

Joshue O Connor

Web Accessibility Consultant

**Centre for Inclusive Technology (CFIT)* *
National Council for the Blind of Ireland

Website:http://www.cfit.ie
E-Mail: joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie
Tel: +353 1 882191