Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

Andy and all,

I think we've seen discussions on structure over the years on tis list.  I
know we've seen examples of good structure and I also think most of us know
what is a hack and what is not.

I have also read the forgoing messages on this thread and while I am fully
cognacent of the capabilities of assistive technologies, I also know that
there are lots of people using ats that do not have those capabilities or
who are not using ats but are using keyboard access and good tabular I mean
tabable structure is vital for them and will remain so for some time to
come.  Listen to your pages on the phone and tell me how you think they
should be structured after listening to them on the phone through an
interface which allows navigation.  If you need suc an interface to use for
this purpose, I think we can drum one up.

Folk, We need to tink in terms of device independance.  I saw an article
yesterday about a new ie coming out possibly as early as late this year and
one of the points in the article was that if you want to cover all the
audiences, you hve to code for ie and then code for all the rest.  This
should not be so.  Things like skip nav and te ability of at to mask less
than rigorous structural constructures have done little to move us forward
toward an accessible web.

Johnnie Apple Seed