From: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

david poehlman wrote:
> Indeed they do not but they also cannot use skip nav

How can they not use them? They're simply links to internal anchors or
fragment identifiers. On my work site www.salford.ac.uk I've defined a
crude "skip to the content" link...and I find myself using it a lot when
navigating in lynx.

> Tis is were internal anchors come in but calling them
> something and using skip nav as a hack for bad structure is not good
> structure.

Maybe I'm being dense, but I still fail to see the evil inherent in
providing internal anchors

<a name="content"></a>

and then offering a link to "skip" to those anchors

Are you suggesting to just provide anchors, without links pointing to
them (and letting the browser work out a way of exposing internal
anchors to the user somehow)?

I'm not being argumentative, simply trying to understand your point...

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com