From: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 10:26 AM
Subject: Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

david poehlman wrote:
> If I have lynx set up to have links and formfields numbered, every link is
> easily accessible by typing its number and pressing enter.  Skip to is
> useless to lynx.

not to sound flippant, but: just because *you* use the numbered links
and formfields, it doesn't mean that it's useless for *all* lynx users.

> Skip to begs the question over all because it sets asside
> good page structure.

ok, so...good page structure:

main navigation / page-specific sub navigation (e.g. related pages) /
main content / footer

imagine now that the main navigation has, say, 10 links, and the sub
navigation another 5 or so. to get to the content, users have to tab
through the 15 links first. or are we talking about keeping the
navigation in a discrete element (e.g. an unordered list) that the user
can skip using the browser's / AT's functions?

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com