From: "Patrick H. Lauke" <redux@splintered.co.uk>
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 9:52 AM
Subject: Re: Copywriting for Screenreaders (was Alt text for URL's)

david poehlman wrote:
> I disagree.  What we need is a guide to optimal use and configurability
> for
> all by all.  Skip to is  ahack and can be miss construed badly and is
> often
> badly implemented and miss understood and is also being used as a
> marketing
> trick...  The most usefull thing that can be done in this regard is to put
> in well defined internal links.

david, sorry, but i am having a hard time understanding what you're
actually getting to. "skip to" are internal links, are they not? what is
the alternative? how can you define what is content and what is
navigation? sure, you could take a hardline approach and say that
everything in the BODY is content, and that any navigation should reside
in the HEAD as LINK elements, but that's...unrealistic at this stage.

what are you proposing as a means to allow users to jump over the main
navigation and straight to the content (or, vice versa, skip over the
content and straight to the site navigation)? there are no agreed,
standard mechanisms for this...or am i missing something?

--
Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com