Re: Re[2]: Diabetes websites too complicated

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:50:43 +1200, Mike Brown <mike@signify.co.nz> wrote:

>>> Is the "reading age" of a site, assuming it can be measured, an
>>> accessibility issue? Is there a limit to how far information can be
>>> "simplified" before it loses its usefulness?
>
> C> Certainly there is a limit to how far information can be simplifie
> before
> C> it uses its usefulness. But there are plenty of 7 year-olds with
> diabetes
> C> (to pick one example) who are for the most part able to manage their
> C> condition by themselves, given information in an appropriate form.

> My reading of the article was that it suggested that the
> diabetes sites be written in such language that "an average educated
> nine year old" can understand it. And that the author was critical of the
> current sites which "would need the reading ability of an educated
> person aged between 11 and 16.8 years old to understand [them]".

Yes. My readong of it was the same, and that author suggested this is not
appropriate for a site directed at "the general public", since it is
consistently demonstrated taht a large section of them do not have the
reading level of an educated 11 to 14 year old.

> I don't see that this is an accessibility issue. Yes of course make
> resources for children available if they are part of the target
> audience, but how can a site's content be considered unaccessible if
> the "average educated 11-16.8 year old" can understand it? I don't
> think that's an unrealistic expectation.

In my original email I tried to provide examples of people with
disabilities which resulted in their being unable to use sites written at
this level. The stated goal of accessibility  (at least within the work
done at W3C) is to ensure that people can use a site regardless of their
disability, or something along those lines. There are many more examples
than the ones that have been cited on this list, but I think there is a
very clear argument that this is an accessibility issue. The next question
is what to do about it...

> Content is the hardest part of a website. I'm a web developer and
> invariably the content for a website is the last thing that arrives
> from a client. They almost inveitably underestimate what's involved in
> writing and getting together the content.

Yep. And you know, if they took a little more time, they could probably
make it simpler, clearer, and easier to fit into the presentation model.
But the real world is a compromise.

> I guess the underlying interest in my asking the original questions
> is something like:
>
> How far is it realistic to make comprehension of content an
> accessbility issue?

I think it is realistic to make it an accessibility issue (it either is or
isn't). If you mean "how far should one go to try and resolve this issue?"
then you have a very good question indeed. To which the answer is "as far
as feasible, but not further".

I think it is important to note that we are not ust talking about children
here. Childhood is not very widely recognised as a disability. On the
other hand there are a range of conditions affecting reading ability
(dyslexia, which may have no impact on general intelligence, various forms
of brain injury which can severely impair cognitive proceses in general,
autism, which has a much more complex effect, and plenty of others) in
adults, and which are recognised as "common-or-garden" disabilities pretty
generally. Jonathon Chetwynd will explain if you ask him that one of the
problems with a lot of content meant for people with intellectual
disabilities is that it is written as directed for children, when the
people he works with, who may have an overall cognitive and reading
ability of a 5 year old also have the understanding of a 5 year old that
they are more grown up than smaller younger people, and deserve to be
treated like that... add the level of emotional control of the average 6
or 7 year old, wrap it in a man who is 30 years old, 190cm tall, and
weighs 110 kg (that's something like Jonah Lomu), and you may get an
interesting perspective on the problem we are trying to resolve. To the
extent that we can.

> In building a site, the aim is to make it accessible to anyone. I
> don't think that's unrealistic. We may fail at times, or not do it the
> best way, but it's something we try to attain.

Oh, I think we will fail all the time. But as you say, we keep aiming for
the best w can do.

> But to make understanding the content an accessibility issue? How far
> do you go? At what reading age does it become unaccessible?

If it's a text-only site, then at the point wherre you put the words in it
is probaby inaccessible. As Kynn used to remind us, accessibility isn't a
yes/no proposition in general - only for a given individual. The art of
accessible design is figuring out how to be inclusive (in terms of
providing for the widest posible audience). Indeed, you cannot make the
text alone accessible to everyone. Often, as you note, text ncan be made
clearer. Just as, for visually impaired people a text supplement is useful
to understand the images that a 7-year-old child can understand, for
people with cognitive disabilities a handful of images can make the
difference between not understanding anything on a page and being able to
understand it - as would any educated 7 year old child who actually can
read the text. There are a number of other things that help besides just
looking at the words - the structure, the information that can be used to
present the site in the most appropriate way for a given user, ...

> Note that I'm not at all arguing against clear, well-written and
> edited content. Or against providing content that is understandable by
> a 9 year old, or someone with Down's Syndrome if they are part of the
> target audience. But does every site have to provide content that is
> understandable "an average educated nine year old" in order to be
> considered accessible?

I would say, yes. On the other hand, I don't think every site will ever be
considered accessible. Some shouldn't (art tends to work by playing around
with "accesibility" - particularly in the area of understanding). Some
should but won't have the time, money, or human resources to get there.
Some sites need to provide information that is understandable by a barely
literate 9 yaer old who has spent most of his life avoiding school in
order to justify the effort of making them in the first place.

> That's not a requirement of every book in the library on diabetes. Why
> should it be a requirement of every website on diabetes?

I don't know. I didn't suggest that it should. But I think it should be a
requirement on sites directed to the general public. Not every book in the
library is useful, and certainly not every book in the library would be
considered accessible to the general public. (Ever seen a blind person
browse the humourous books section of the library looking for their
favourite relaxing read? The point is that the Web can do better. It may
not, always, but it is worthwhile finding out what it needs in order to do
better...

cheers

Chaals

--