RE: New York Attorney General holds ADA applies to Web Businesses.

Phill Jenkins:

> but I found it interesting that Priceline.com is not headquartered in NY,
but was incorporated in > Delaware and is headquartered in Connecticut

Indeed it is interesting, but not surprising that a legal expert (The AG of
NYS) should decide that web business' headquarters is immaterial. The issue
for the AG was that these websites were "places of public accommodation"
just like brick and mortar buildings. The wave of the future, I believe.

Phill Jenkins:

> Does the State of New York or New Jersey actually specify WCAG 1.0

No - it is clear that the AG concluded that the sites had to be accessible
to "people with disabilities" and then he had the sense to try to define
that. He used a combination of WCAHG P1 and P2 and 508 - as he should!

Phill Jenkins:

> it seems that the policy under which the complaint was filed was the ADA,
but I'm confused why the > 508 Web standard wasn't chosen or cited as the
standard since it is also a Federal policy like the > ADA

There is no reason to appeal to 508 - it is a law talking about Federal
procurement. The AG of NY was faced with the question, what is web
accessibility, and drew on both 508 and WCAG for the answer.

There is no applicability of the NY Attorney General's action - which you
seem to be looking for. I can tell you that if I were a high profile
business on the web I would start now to work to meet standards like those
referenced in the AG's document. It would be a lot cheaper than going
through the process that Ramada and Priceline have just entered/completed.

The Justice Department has issued an opinion that the ADA applies to web
businesses. Now the New York Attorney General has taken an action based on
that premise. There has been one Judge who has decided otherwise, a decision
that is under appeal. That is better than 2 to 1 as I count it.

Jim

Accessibility Consulting:  <http://jimthatcher.com/> http://jimthatcher.com/

512-306-0931