Re: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

yes, null alt's allow screenreader to skip over decorative graphics.  by
the same token, if a standard approach were taken for tables simply
being used to layout information on a webpage, screenreaders would know
not to look for/read associative information.  as sailesh also pointed
out, empty attributes allow for automated testing.  although, in our
tool, we allow for both empty attributes like summary and alt, as well
as certain key phrases, like summary="layout", summary="layout table",
etc..  these values being filled, however, does not help the
screenreader user.

-kerstin