From: "John M Slatin" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>
To: "Elizabeth J. Pyatt" <ejp10@psu.edu>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2004 3:01 PM
Subject: RE: Layout versus data tables proposal for null summary attribute

I agree that a null attribute is valid code, but I was approaching
this more from the aspect of trying to reduce file size.  As you may
guess, my approach is not to specify meta data unless there is some
content in it or it has a "real world" effect in the browsing
experience (most tags/attributes do, but some null attributes really
don't apepar to make a difference as far as I can tell.)

At least one user agent, JAWS 5.0, supports the null summary attribute.
JAWS' default behavior when it encounters a table is to announce "Table
with x columns and y rows," and it does the same for nested tables but
adds information about the nesting level.  When it encounters <table
summar=""> JAWS doesn't say any of that; it just reads the contents of
the table.  Personally, I like that just fine!

John