Re: the ramp to nowhere:

If the materials are too flimsy though...?

Johnnie Apple Seed

----- Original Message -----
From: "RUST Randal" <RRust@COVANSYS.com>
To: "wai-ig list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 25, 2004 11:26 AM
Subject: RE: the ramp to nowhere:

david poehlman wrote:

> So, in accordance with you can make it accessible and not
> usable, suppose we have a ramp that meets the atag
> requirements to have a ramp for ada's sake here in the us.
> Suppose though that that ramp stops a foot from the door at
> the top of it,  How is the wheell chair user supposed to
> traverse that distance through thin air?

> This is the best analagy I could come up with with regard to
> accessibility.

I don't think it's a bad analogy, but I think the following is a better
analogy.

Suppose you have a building, and the door is not at ground level. The
issue is that you must provide access to what is inside of the building
to the public. To provide accessibility, you build a set of steps, and
you build a ramp.

Now, the government may give you technical specifications to follow, but
the materials that you use and who you hire to do the work are all up to
you.

Technical specs are the W3C recommendations. Materials are your content.

Randal Rust
Covansys Corp.
Columbus, OH