Legal status of WCAG Re: Who needs what ...

This is too simplified to be accurate.

The Australian government has a policy for itself, that it will get its
sites to meet WCAG.

But if you go to court (actually you go through some stages, but I think
the phrase communicates the right idea) you will be tested against some
law that says "you must not discriminate". In the notes that explain the
law, one of the things they say is "the best guidance we have for how to
avoid discriminating is to follow WCAG". That is, they are not sure, in
advance, of how to decide whether you discriminated. That has to be tested
in each circumstance. They ssupect that if you haven't done what WCAG
asks, you probably are discriminating, and if you have done it, you are at
least doing what is recognised as the right thing to avoid it. If you meet
WCAG a complaint can still succeed on the basis that you need to do
something more, but you are unlikely to be faced with a damages claim. If
you don't meet WWCAG the court is mor likely to decide that you are
discriminating on purpose, by not meeting the common community standard of
reasonable behaviour, and you may face a damages claim.

I am pretty sure that the situation is similar in the UK and I would be
surprised (altugh I have enver read canadian law) if it is much different
in Canada.

This is a very potted version of how it works - check with a lawyer. (Note
that no lawyer will give you a straight answer about whether you are
discriminating, since they will have to wait for it to be tested in court.
ut thye might give you an opibnion about how likely some decision is in
court...)

cheers

Chaals

--