Re: Validation in WCAG 2

Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> Making validation a "level one success Criteria" could make is even more
> difficult to get web content authors to shift to the better "strict"
> versions of HTML and XHTML.
>
> Maybe validation should be level one for the transitional versions and
> level two for the strict versions? I would like to hear the opinion of
> other members of this list.

Is it not the other way around?

Validation is crucial for XHTML, and shouldn't be used unless you can
guarantee that it will validate. User agents can (or at least should) be
more strict about XHTML, not to mention the whole mime-type issue:
http://www.webstandards.org/learn/askw3c/sep2003.html
http://hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml

Perhaps authors should be encouraged to use valid HTML as a starting
point, before considering XHTML?

There is some conflict between the importance of validation (WCAG 2) and
using the latest technologies (WCAG 1), depending on the developers
level of knowledge.

-Alastair

--

Alastair Campbell   |   Director of Technology

Please refer to the following disclaimer for this message:
http://www.nomensa.com/email/disclaimer.html