Re: Breadcrumbs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Dodd"
[snip]
> That is, unless it was CSS rendered to
> look like the standard form (like the example above).

Well, that was a given. We're not talking about the visual representation as
a list, merely the underlying code.

> by being 'semantically'
> correct you would actually decrease accessibility by making the breadcrumb
> understandable only to those who are teccie coding pedants

thinking about screenreaders, for instance, the argument becomes:

what's more logical to understand?
"you are here: home greater than level 1 greater than level 2"
or (and i don't have Jaws or similar here at home, so forgive me if this
is not the exact output you'd hear...but you get the idea)
"you are here: list with three items. 1 home. 2 level 1. 3 level 2"

We have not forgotten about the users, au contraire. We're trying to find
a good practice that is more logical (in markup, and by extension can then
be processed and presented by AT in a more logical way than a single
linear stream of words, interspersed with "greater than")

Glad we're providing amusing entertainment along the way ;)

Patrick H. Lauke
re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively. [latin : re-,
re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
http://www.splintered.co.uk | http://www.photographia.co.uk |
http://redux.deviantart.com