Re: Breadcrumbs

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jesper Tverskov"
[snip]
> Patrick wrote:
> I'd say that it should be an ORDERED list...
>
> My comment:
> An ordered list is just a list using numbers or letters. They are not
> necessarily in order of importance or hierarchy.

From http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/lists.html#h-10.1
"An ordered list, created using the OL element, should contain
information *where order should be emphasized*, as in a recipe:"

So maybe not importance or hierarchy, granted, but certainly
the order in which they appear is important. Unordered lists can be
jumbled up and still retain the same meaning, while ordered lists
cannot...the order in which the elements appear has relevance.
In the case of breadcrumbs, which represent a path through the
site, the order is also important in order to retrace the steps.

Granted, not the most perfect fit, but slightly better than a UL.

(keeping in mind my stance that it's often irrelevant to get into
too deep arguments about semantics of xhtml, as the vocabulary
of xhtml is just too limited, and in many  cases too vague -
take DL as an example - to come to any hard conclusion...it
will more often than not come down to a pragmatic choice of
what element seems most appropriate from the very small number
of available choices)

Patrick H. Lauke
re·dux (adj.): brought back; returned. used postpositively. [latin : re-,
re- + dux, leader; see duke.]
http://www.splintered.co.uk | http://www.photographia.co.uk |
http://redux.deviantart.com