RE: Should pdf and doc open alone or inside the browser

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, John Foliot - WATS.ca wrote:

> > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> > > I have done some more testing of how pdf, doc, xls, ppt, open in
> > > browsers, and I must say it settles the issue for me.
> > > MS Applications
> > > When a doc, xls, ppt open inside IE, it looks more like it is IE
> > > opening inside the application or a mixture of the two. The
> > > is mainly the application but some of the menu items very
> > > belong to the browser. The browser's address line and the browser
> > > standard icon panel are present, but are inaccessible to ordinary
> > > keyboard users with some exceptions like Home.
> >
> > hmmmm, in Mozila running on Linux, mine triggers Open Office
> > and it opens as a document in OO.o and I can control it with
> > standard Open Office commands.  close the doc and I go right
> > back to the Mozila browser???
> >
> > not sure if this is Default or I somehow accidently set it up this way
>
> If nothing else Bob, it simply illustrates that different users have
> configured their machines... well, differently.  And that's the point
> isn't it?  We, as web developers, should not, CAN NOT, make assumptions
> about *HOW* other users will choose to access our content.  Attempting
> to control behaviours of the end user's system is counter to the whole
> idea of Universal Accessibility.  You yourself state that you're not

how true, and that was the reason for the example. never quite know what
the user is going to be, well, using.

> sure if you set up the behaviour exhibited or if it is the default, but
> now, it is what you "expect", right or wrong.  Who am I to decide that
> you should get the "something" differently, just because I think it is
> better?

kinda funny because I am anal about setting my machines but this is what
happened the first time I opened a msdoc and it was "OK" by me so I left
it.  don't use mozila that much anyway because I'm usually using LYNX only
use mozila for the @&G*>*&@ msdocs that I really really really need to
read.

and of course msdocs don't open at all in LYNX so I personally consider
msdocs non compliant anyway........

Bob

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net