Re: Should pdf and doc open alone or inside the browser

On 27 Jul 2004, at 08:23, Jesper Tverskov wrote:
> Some members of this list have been using the argument, that since
> Acrobat Reader has a checkbox where the user can deselect behavior, in
> this case to open inside the browser, no webpage author is allowed to
> serve the open/save dialog but must always open pdfs inside the browser
> right away. Only Acrobat Reader must do otherwise.

That argument could be worded:

* All files should be served with the correct content-type.

* Non-standard http headers should be avoided.

* All[1] browser plugins for opening Office/Adobe documents in the
browser window can be enabled or disabled in favour of an Open/Save
dialog at the user's desecration.

* Given that the user does always have that choice - isn't it wrong to
override their decision?

> Let us say we have some bad behavior on the internet like popup
> windows.

Poor analogy. Popups are explicit behaviors triggered by authors, not a
behaviour that some systems use given certain file formats.

> Some browsers introduce a checkbox to protect the users

Here we have the issue of 'some'. Compare that to the plugin issue
where it becomes 'all'.

[1] as far as I know