multiple versions Re: Should pdf and doc open alone or inside the browser

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:16:13 +0100, Patrick Lauke
<P.H.Lauke@salford.ac.uk> wrote:

> In the worst case, how about offering two downloads: the
> PDF (which the browser will then deal with according to
> whatever settings the user has enabled - assuming that
> they know how to do it, but that moves into user education
> territory and UUAG as mentioned) and a Zipped version (which
> in almost all situations will prompt for download).

Note that this is something we do with Hera - you can get the RDF version
of an accessibility report offered as text (it's actually RDF) which will
make the browser display it as plain text, or you can have it marked as
RDF in which case it will do whatever the user setup does with RDF
(typically save it, or open it in an RDF or XML application).

Doing this as Apache configurations is remarkably easy. You set two types
for two versions of the file, where one is just a redirect to the other...

Cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile     charles@sidar.org