mathML support...

Hi Ken, folks,

Mozilla/Netscape has supported MathML for a while, and Amaya supports the
presentation part (MathML has two modes - presentation and content)
including authoring.

According to the Working group's Implementation report [1] you can use
IBM's techExplorer plugin with Internet Explorer to read it, and you an
integrate that with ViaVoice to give speech output, or use a tool like
Mathematica with Jaws which might be more flexible and suitable for
serious usage. I am not sure of the status of Gnopernicus with Mozilla,
but if that is usable it will give you a free talking implementation. I
would expect something similar from the next version of Apple's OS X -
10.4 (Tiger) will include a free, serious "screen reading" application and
I presume that Mozilla's accessibility group are working on providing
hooks into the Mac's Accessibility APi for mac versions of the browser.

Liddy Nevile has done work in Australia on converting MathML to braille,
and others have done it for other braille notations. I hope those with the
experience can reply to this with more information.

I'm not sure where you go for a basic introduction - checking the pages of
the working group might be useful. Dalia al-Aloul at Al-Quds University
did some work recently on introductory material - I will see if she has
any suggestions.

[1]

cheers

Chaals