From: "Udas, Ken" <Ken.Udas@openpolytechnic.ac.nz>
To: "James Craig" <wai-ig@cookiecrook.com>; "WAI-IG" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 11, 2004 5:33 AM
Subject: RE: web survey tool recommendations?

> James,
>
> > Can anyone recommend an accessible (and standards-compliant) tool for
> > web surveys? Or at least one that's close-enough to accessible that I
> > can tweak it myself.
>
> Hello.  I am currently putting together a bit of a tutorial for a workshop
that I have been asked to provide.  It is on accessibility relative to
online learning.  One of the major issues confronting facilitators/teacher,
learning designers, and learners is accessible assessment techniques.  In
online learning, assessment frequently has a survey-like component.  If you
have any luck with your request, I would be quite glad to know.  In
addition, as I test a few tools, I will let you know what I find out.

> > I would prefer an open source solution in PHP/MySQL for
> > Apache/Linux.
>
> On another note, I am very involved with an Open Source learning
management system project and an Open Source community project platform
project.  If you are interested in learning more, please feel free to access
information on Eduforge at

> www.eduforge.org
> Eduforge is a virtual collaborative learning and exploratory environment
designed for the sharing of ideas, research outcomes, open source
educational software, and tools within a community of learners and
researchers.  It is an open access resource allowing anyone with an interest
in the exploration of teaching and learning to join the community.  Eduforge
encourages cross-institutional collaboration among individuals within an
independent environment outside the normal boundaries of organisational
infrastructure and resources. The Eduforge community is well supported by
online communication, content and management tools, including Wiki tools,
project management, forum, surveys, Current Versions System (CVS), and
document uploading and sharing.

> The Open Source e-Learning Platform is located at
>
> http://www.ose.org.nz
> The NZ Open Source Virtual Learning Environment Project is the
implementation of e-learning content creation tools and an open source
virtual learning environment (VLE) for use by a group of tertiary education
organisations throughout New Zealand. The project team will adopt and
contribute to e-learning application software from active open source
communities. The principal goal of the project is to collaboratively
establish an e-learning platform that minimises the financial,
organisational, and technological barriers to sharing resources across New
Zealand's education sector. The platform adopts a flexible technical
architecture appropriate for a dynamic environment, in which individual
application components use open standards and are independent, modular, and
extendable. This paper is intended to accompany a short demonstration of the
platform.

> In any event, we recognise that both of the projects require a fair amount
of work around accessibility.  If there is anybody in this group that is
keen to provide input to either of these communities regarding
accessibility, please feel free to contact me directly or refer to the URLs
above.  In the case of Eduforge, we are contributing to the GForge
application community via a team of programmers that is helping us with
Eduforge.  The Open Source e-Learning Platform project is working with the
Moodle community and others.  I will gladly support an accessibility
requirements gathering exercise.

> Regardless, if you are involved with a distributed education related
project, please feel free to visit Eduforge and take advantage of the
collaboration and communication tools to support your project.

> Take Care
>
> Ken
>
> ============================
>
> Ken Udas, Ph.D.
> E-Learning Director
> The Open Polytechnic of New Zealand
>
> Phone:   +64 4 913 5074    Mobile: 027 457 4426
> E-Mail:   ken.udas@openpolytechnic.ac.nz
> URLs:    <http://www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz>
>          <http://www.openmindonline.com>
>          <http://www.eduforge.org>
>          <http://www.ose.org.nz>
>    <http://www.e-fest.org.nz>
>
> Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to
time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught. -  Oscar  Wilde