Re: link to us: Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking?

Joe ,

The fact that it is not easy to describe Guernica in words does not
detract from it's uniqueness.

This was my point, perhaps not well expressed.
Words have many meanings, that like the alphabet is their enhanced
functionality.
graphics in the main do not, so McDonalds can be a farmer, a Scottish
clan, or a chain, but the big M has only one.

You seem to be implying that meaning has to be expressed in words to be
known, which doesn't do you justice.
We all have passions, but few are poets.

thanks

Jonathan

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 01:29  am, Joe Clark wrote:

>> Maestro has many meanings, the graphic only one. This is true for
>> almost any text or graphic.
>
> An amusing declaration!
>
> What is the single meaning for Picasso's _Guernica_? How about a simple
> Illustrator vector drawing of an upturned palm? Obviously these
> "graphics"
> have *only one* meaning.
>
> By the way, what would those individual meanings be in, say, Breton,
> Chinese, and Australian Sign Language?
>
> Critics of the written word are so cute! I'm glad we keep them around!
>
> --
>
>   Joe Clark  |  joeclark@joeclark.org
>   Author, _Building Accessible Websites_
>   <http://joeclark.org/access/> | <http://joeclark.org/book/>