Re: link to us: Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking? if so where?

Chaals & Tina,

I do find it sad that I have neither the wit, patience, ability or
charm to express myself more clearly, but thanks again.
BTW Chaals how about your views on AAA conformance and the need to
include a 'link to us' graphic?

the 'obvious' point being that if everyone has a go, and link images
are royalty free (did I forget to mention that?)
then pretty soon there will be a public and rich semantic graphical
directory, which could be a great help....

images as images are great, but images as links are different kettle of
fish, one which has little history, and much to offer.

is "شارل مككثينبل" "click here" possibly? those video links
http://www.aljazeera.net/images/j-video-icon.gif at aljazeera.net were
great for those of us who knew no better! and may even be less bits
than 'video feed' certainly they only take up one or two characters of
screen estate.
popular graphics....

'Link to us' graphics are similar to trade marks, and favicons. They
publicise a product, however because they are intended to be used by
others, they will generally be royalty free. This means there is the
possibility of their being used in other contexts. Furthermore like
those very irritating logos on TV stations they may become ubiquitous,
like toilet signs. This is where they become extremely useful. SVG
would be great ~:"
http://www.gnote.org/svg-images/Diner.svg may not be as well known, but
may have more interesting references?

For me 'history' might be a pyramid, alternatively
http://www.symbolworld.org/images/learning/history.jpg is a ~17th
century ship.
So this could be a confusing morass, or just conceivably a consensus
could arise.
Abstract topics are extremely difficult to illustrate well.
They need a broad and speedy evaluation, which the web is eminently
suited to provide.

thanks

Jonathan

Jonathan Chetwynd