Re: link to us: Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking? if so where?

One way of making things easy is to provide identifiers. We are almost
all used to the link "Web Content Accessibility Guidelines" going
somewhere we expect, but "شارل مككثينبل" probably isn't helpful. On the
other hand, a giant yellow stylised M, in a particular font, on a red
background, is allegedly the most recognised symbol in the world. A
particular script in white, on a red background, underlined with a
stylised white banner, is also often associated with a drink even by
people who can't tell what the characters are.

Many organisations who use a text logo have a particular font  -
perhaps not even very legible - that they use to identify themselves. A
large computer company may have three letters in a font that could
never be considered clear, but can be identified by people who don't
know how to read latin script.

For some people who are used to not reading, these graphic symbols are
a good way to identify things, and therefore to make clear what a link
target is. Lots of people think a small rectangle vertically in the
bottom of a square, with a triangle on top of it (and perhaps some more
decoration) represents the idea of page d'accueil, although as Jonathan
has mentioned before there are a number of non-readers who see a
picture of a green bus, and will wait all day at the stop because the
only buses that pass are red - many of these people are surprised not
to see a picture of where they live when they follow this allegedly
universal button.

As Tina points out, text information is the most useful to many people
in this context, but the graphics are also a strategy for solving what
might otherwise be impenetrable access barriers. This has been
recognised to the extent that you can go to court if someone else uses
"your" trademark, which implies that the idea is well-enough understood
for people to work out a system for protecting its use.

Hope that sort of helps to explain the idea.

Cheers

Chaals