Re: link to us: Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking? if so where?

Tina,

and others who may be severely graphically challenged, please refer to:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/

Maestro has many meanings, the graphic only one. This is true for
almost any text or graphic.
Furthermore many and possibly most users find it easier to remember a
graphic.
finally everyone's doing it, well plenty are, so why not reflect the
consensus in this instance?

IMHO any page which fails to have a 'link to us' graphic cannot be AAA
rated.

thanks

Jonathan

On Sunday, January 18, 2004, at 05:41  pm, Tina Holmboe wrote:

> On 18 Jan, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
>
>> Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking?
>> if
>> so where?
>
>   I have never seen one - and can't see a point in it. What the
> external
>   link is, or how it looks, is up to the authors of the document.
>   However:
>

>> http://mars.telascience.org/maestroButton2.png
>
>   Makes -absolutely- no sense to me; it helped when I had found out
> what
>   'Maestro' was, but prior to that it could have been a dancing hamster
>   for all that graphic told me.
>
>   The link examples also lacked good alternatives, and the image itself
>   contained text. I'd suggest not using that as an example of anything,
>   but rather include a normal, textual, link of the type
>
>     "Download the Maestro software from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory"
>
>   alongside a description of what it is. That image was certainly of no
>   use.
>

>> Does WAI publish advice that describes an ideal linking graphic?
>
>   WCAG 1.0, Priority 2, Checkpoint 13.1: "CLEARLY identify the target
> of
>   each link" [my emphasis]. If you can define an ideal linking graphic
>   that fits with that, I salute you.
>
>   Personally I suggest using text. However, to answer your question:
>   I've never seen a recommendation from the WAI on linking graphics.
>   Following 13.1 should help you do that, however.
>
> --
>  -    Tina Holmboe                    Greytower Technologies
>    tina@greytower.net                http://www.greytower.net/
>    [+46] 0708 557 905

Jonathan Chetwynd
http://www.peepo.co.uk