Re: link to us: Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking? if so where?

On 18 Jan, Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:

> Is there a recommendation to provide a graphic for external linking? if
> so where?

  I have never seen one - and can't see a point in it. What the external
  link is, or how it looks, is up to the authors of the document.
  However:

> http://mars.telascience.org/maestroButton2.png

  Makes -absolutely- no sense to me; it helped when I had found out what
  'Maestro' was, but prior to that it could have been a dancing hamster
  for all that graphic told me.

  The link examples also lacked good alternatives, and the image itself
  contained text. I'd suggest not using that as an example of anything,
  but rather include a normal, textual, link of the type

    "Download the Maestro software from the Jet Propulsion Laboratory"

  alongside a description of what it is. That image was certainly of no
  use.

> Does WAI publish advice that describes an ideal linking graphic?

  WCAG 1.0, Priority 2, Checkpoint 13.1: "CLEARLY identify the target of
  each link" [my emphasis]. If you can define an ideal linking graphic
  that fits with that, I salute you.

  Personally I suggest using text. However, to answer your question:
  I've never seen a recommendation from the WAI on linking graphics.
  Following 13.1 should help you do that, however.

   [+46] 0708 557 905