RE: Flash vs Traditional Screen shot tutorials

-----Original Message-----
From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Geoff Deering
Sent: 28 June 2004 09:47
To: Charles McCathieNevile; WAI-IG
Subject: RE: Flash vs Traditional Screen shot tutorials

<snip />
> Flash is making progress - there are specific improvements
> between MX and
> 2004, but there are also still significant problems for both authors and
> users. Whether you see a big fat donut, or a very large hole, depends on
> what you are trying to achieve. Both are justified views, I think, from
> certain reasonable and common perspectives.
>
> Not sure how much that helps. Hopefully some...
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals

Yes, I agree there are pluses and minuses for both, and it does help getting others opinions on this list, even if all they are is just even some perspective.

Geoff

This is an opinion:

If you treat Flash movies in exactly the same way that TV producers are having to treat broadcast TV programmes, with (switchable) subtitles and (switchable) audio description, then that's the only way we're going to get accessibility in Flash as it stands.

However I've been told by those that supposedly know that this is far too difficult for amateurs. So I'm going ahead anyway with 'accessible' teaching videos and see where I fall over.

That's this summer's research taken care of, anyway - and probably next year's as well.

John Colby
Lecturer, School of Computing and Information
Room F328a, Feeney Building, University of Central England,
Franchise Street, Perry Barr, Birmingham B42 2SU
Tel: +44 (0) 121 331 6937, Fax +44 (0) 121 331 6281, Mobile: 07795 215 912