RE: Cocoon

Hi,

Lisa Seeman, from UBAccess (http://www.ubaccess.com/cog.html) and WAI-GL
worked on a large project within the last year using Cocoon.  I'm pretty
sure that's right, it looked like Cocoon to me, in fact I'm sure it was.

I put my hand up on WAI-GL to cover server-side techniques, but my
participation rate over there and ATAG is close to zero at present.  But I
have the intention to really look into this.

The people on the Apache/Cocoon list are open to anyone redeveloping their
XSLT so that the pages generated on that site are closer to W3C standards,
so if you want to do that, get on the list and put your hand up, because if
you do, it would showcase what could be done with that approach.

I'm just getting it all set up under the same Linux Distro that I host
under, but still working out the pros and cons of installing by source (RH9)
and apt-get (Debian).  Cocoon/Java/Lenya install much easier under Windows.
I just need to make sure I can do what I want without too many dramas.

Oreilly has just put out an Axkit book, I'm looking at that, because it is
so lightweight compared to Cocoon, but Cocoon is so much more powerful.

I am also looking at Forrest for simple site regeneration.  Maybe keeping
forrest on my local machine and just copying the generated files to the
site.

I've been following Apache/Cocoon/Lenya for about 5 years, but it seems that
Lenya has only really come to maturity as far as prime time around now.

I do like Cocoons architecture and features, it to me shows the results of a
great collaborative development effort.  It makes far more sense than many
other CMSs out there, it's very different, but when you look at the whole
thing, it makes the most sense by far.  In just needs a user interface for
content developers with all the required CMS features (Lenya).

Geoff