Re: NVU, child of Mozilla Composer (Windows & Linux)

Geoff Deering wrote:

> I don't know about the rest of you on this list, but I'm really disappointed
> with the quality of WYSIWYG based editors and the markup they generate.  I
> don't understand why it is so bad.  I'm disappointed in most of our tools
> actually.

I'm disappointed when I see a wysiwyg editor that has toolbar buttons
for bold, italic, colour, text alignment, font size and font selection.
IMO, it ignores the concepts of structured markup. The positive side is
that people find them easy to use, because they can relate it to word
processing.

Once in a while I have a look at web-based / javascript wysiwyg editors,
and the one's I've seen all go down this visual-orientated approach.

I have thought of trying to write a structure-focused wysiwyg editor -
offering buttons for paragraph, headings, lists, and generic containers
with classes. But I can't visualise a UI that makes as good sense as the
above-mentioned tools.

The drawback, I feel, is that it requires a knowledge of HTML (well,
structured markup techniques) to be able to produce good markup from a
wysiwyg.

Is it even possible to create a structured-orientated editor that's as
easy to use as a visual-based wysiwyg? The more I think about it the
more Wiki-style syntax is preferable.

Mike