Re: Screen readers - usage stats?

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Ian Anderson wrote:

> > Actually, what *I* was going for with my comment on screen reader
> > to place the emphasis on technology as a whole rather than screen
> > specifically due to the variance in environments and configuration
> > preferences.  you cannot possibly second guess every one so rather
>
> I don't disagree with you, in the main. I am sure we all agree that
> broadest possible access is our overriding goal. What the heck are we
> bothering with all this for, if that is not our core belief?
>
> What I am not clear on is the connection that is being made between
> optimising the user experience for one group of users with "leaving
> out" a lot of others. These are not the same thing.
>
> The analogy is not an exact comparison to JAWS versus Window-Eyes, for
> example, because only a few of the problems arise because Window-Eyes
> is broken. Most differences are quirks, and you can't use the analogy
> of upgrading like you can with browsers. Although WE bugs me
> frequently, I do acknowledge that it is a quality piece of software.
> However, I think the analogy illustrates my two main points:

but we are not talking about JAWS or Window-Eyes but rather NON
PROPRIETARY solutions and older solutions and for Macs'

how do you handle screen readers such as EMACSpeak...???   or those that
just read the plain text from the screen (many older systems) these
require that the output be ONLY plain text.

> 1. we are not excluding anyone. I am talking about relatively fine
> differences in user experience... tweaking; optimising.

yes you are talking of excluding anyone not using the two expensive,
propietary screen readers that are most marketed

> 2. whatever you do in these cases, someone will lose out a little

but should some lose all????

try using what I'm using at the moment, I'm running Red Hat Linux 9, with
Minicom connection to the internet and using PINE as my e-mail reader.
  how about visting your sites using LYNX...which is my most common access

for what it's worth I have broken the M$ habit and have been windoze free
for almost 5 years in EVERY way....and don't plan on changing just to use
the accessibility features that some are trying to force on us.

and believe me I am far far from unique.

> You seem to be saying we should optimize for no screen reader over
> another but I can't see, for example, how that helps me choose between
> two valid, alternative ways of coding a navigation bar, each of which
> creates issues for someone. I want perfect for everyone, but sometimes
> there is no perfect. Then, I have to choose, and market share is one
> factor I look at in making that choice.

Casscading Style Sheets!!!!!!!

Bob

CONFIGURE YOUR E-MAIL TO SEND TEXT ONLY, see http://expita.com/nomime.html

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net